You Will Love This!


Please read my TERMS OF USE.

Diary of a Failed Children's Craft :( and a freebie  

That wasn't the title I had planned for this post, but as I've finished for today, I found I had to come "adjust" it. Here's how it went...

I never tried Shrinky Dinks before. I had some ideas that I thought could turn out awesome and so tonight I'm taking my first try at it. I have spent many hours designing a set of 14 pieces that I'm so happy with in PS...so excited picturing them in durable, thick, glossy, brilliantly sharp detailed little Shrinky Dink plaques all ready for an amazing project!!! I can almost feel them in my hand! First concern is they said to lighten your work 50% as the colors darken as the plastic shrinks. Ok...hoping... These designs depend heavily on jet black contrast.

I printed two designs on the first sheet. First issue, they said to moisten your fingers and pinch a corner of the plastic. The sticky side is what you print on. I did it and only one side was sticky...yet, hours later, my ink has not dried :( I'm wondering if somehow I got it in backward. The black fields are mottled and not at all jet black...and I'm concerned.

I finally gave up waiting for them to dry after 2 hours and put one in the long preheated oven. I should have realize this wasn't going to be the glorious adventure I've been so looking forward to when I put the first one in only to find I have no light in my oven :( I can't see a thing! And it's 11:30 PM to boot so even if the sun would have helped - not! :(

I've been reading a lot on line about this and they say you can put them on brown paper bag, flat cardboard or foil. Well, I started with flat cardboard because the tuts said it's best. Let me tell you, it would not come off right out of the oven, nor when it cooled. I ultimately had to rip it off and lots of cardboard came with it :( I'm trying my second one right now, this time on foil, but as the plastic contorts, the foil is going right with it and it's a mess. This one has folded in on itself and though I have several times done what they said to do, it keeps re-sticking itself to itself. I have just taken it out and cut it apart and put it back in hoping to re-melt as many tuts have said you can. :(

My first one looks horrid. The colors are ugly, my solid blacks are mottled charcoal and somehow some of the "black" ink ran into a white area while melting. The skin on my woman is so dark that you can't make out or her features at all, or even see her arms. To top that off, when all was said and done, I had forgotten to punch my hole in it before cooking. There is at least good news there - as soon as I took it from the oven, I tried the hole punch on it, but it was stuck to the cardboard. I cut the cardboard so I could get at the plastic, but the punch wouldn't work. I took the tip of sharp scissors and pressed, twisting a hole in it. Once I got a hole pretty well reamed out, I was able to use the punch to turn it into a picture perfect hole!

The foil stuck too. Now my ugly, warped failure is back in the oven again, this time on a brown paper lunch bag. People have said you can put them back in and it will just melt and you have another chance, but I'm not seeing that happen. Part of my design has completely disappeared on this one :( It just hit me, I'm failing at a children's craft!!! How sad is that?!!

It's been too long and there has been no change in my poor warped failure, so I just took it out of the oven and...guess what? I can't get it off the brown paper bag either!!!! :( Even cooled I can't get it off the bag :(

Here are the gruesome pictures. I am seriously wondering if the entire mess could simply be that I printed on the wrong side? Good thing I just had success with the shark (2 posts back), so I don't have to be too bummed! Oh well, it's 12:30 AM now and I'm heading to bed. Hope some of you post some suggestions here, cause this just isn't good! :) TTFN!
Update: I'm talking with a fabulous customer service rep at Shrinky Dinks and she thinks all my woes could be caused by printing on the wrong side of the plastic...and my printer. Turns out they don't recommend Epson printers as the ink doesn't dry. We shall see. She's so sweet she's looking at some of my designs and is going to lighten them and send them back so I can see what they are going for. I'll keep you updated!

I absolutely adore these Tin Frame Circles! So many possibilities! Make some of the little frames cork boards and pin or staple things to them; use some little frames for journaling; fill some of the little frames with objects; weave vines or ribbons through them; fill the little frames and leave the middle empty; fill them all with pictures; fill some of the little frames with papers and some with pictures; use them as they are or drape them over your layout showing only part of them; change the colors; tuck them behind other things; there's no end to the possibilities!

Be sure to click the image to enlarge so you can see the great detail. Click the Buy It Now Button below the image to purchase from my PayPal Store for $3.99. Today I'm giving you a surprise element - enjoy!


This kit was made with my Tin Frames Kit. The examples shown in the preview use:
Cork from my Pods ‘n’ Berries 2 Kit; Gumball from my Bright Dreams Kit; Ribbon butterfly from my Ribbon Sculptures Kit; Paper Dolls from my Buttons Threads & Paper Dolls Kit; and Text from my Cutsie Tootsie Mushrooms Kit.

I love your comments, so please leave one at the bottom of this post as I have disabled 4shared comments. Please support this blog by shopping my PayPal store. God bless you!Download here. Check out my TERMS OF USE here.The password is jesuschristislord.Digifree CraftCrave CraftCrave

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


3 comments: to “ Diary of a Failed Children's Craft :( and a freebie

  • CraftCrave
    August 17, 2011 at 11:26 PM  

    Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave in the DigiFree category today [18 Aug 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

  • jayleigh3
    August 18, 2011 at 8:16 AM  

    The frame circles are special. They do look fun for hybrid scrapping which is becoming so popular these days. i empathize with your printer woes - my Kodak (which was touted to be soooooooo wonderful and is not) is in its death throes, for which i am grateful. Try as i might, it will NOT print 5x7 and the 4x6 photos are not a true 4x6. The colors are not accurate, although it was advertised as such a marvelous printer at a cheaper ink price. My old HP C-something was expensive with 4 cartridges to buy, but the colors were perfect and the ink actually lasted a long time. i have a Lexmark in the box that i got on a good sale, so i hope it lives up to its ad. i'd love to have a gclee, but that's just a dream! Thanks for the freebie!

  • CBH
    August 18, 2011 at 8:44 AM  

    Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in CBH Digital Scrapbooking Freebies, under the Page 5 post on Aug. 18, 2011. Thanks again.

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster