You Will Love This!


Please read my TERMS OF USE.

Kusudama Snowball  

This one takes my breath away!  It was a lot of work, but so worth it, don't you think?

There are lots of tutorials on YouTube for the basic five and six petal Kusudama.  There's one here.  She used a glue stick.  I started with Aleene's Tacky Glue but now use low melt glue and wish I'd done that from the start!

I wanted a larger six petal Kusudama ball, but all I found on line was to use larger squares to make the petals.  That achieves a larger ball, but flowers are huge and you still only see two or three at a time.  I envisioned a larger ball made of tons of smaller flowers - the same size flower I used on my other Kusudama post.
(Yes, I got the numbers of the steps out of order on my preview.)

2.  I started by cutting 2 1/2" squares of old book paper with my paper cutter.  My 3" ball, prepared as I share below took 25 flowers of six petals each = 150 petals/squares of paper.

1.  Since this is very time consuming, I put the squares in a snack bag with a slightly pointed wooden stick (to help open parts for folding), then put that bag in a larger bag.  I keep it in my purse, neat, waterproof and tidy.  Then when I have to wait somewhere, I can neatly and easily make petals and put them in the larger bag sitting in my purse.  The yellow note is my reminder of how many flowers/petals it takes to make a normal ball for both five and six petal flowers. 

3.  Follow the tut link above to make the basic petals as you see at number 3.

4.  Then I trimmed the petals with scissors, cutting off the glued end and keeping the open end, so that my flowers sit about 1" on top the 3" styrofoam ball.

5.  Glue six petals together and you get the lovely flower at number 5.

6.  Glue the smaller end of the flowers to the styrofoam ball, fitting them together until there is only a small area of ball uncovered.

7.  (not shown)  I tied a loop of twine for a hanger, then cut a paperclip in two and with it straddling the loop I pressed it into the ball in the opening and put glue over it.

8.  (not shown)  I had bought this bead garland at Hobby Lobby last Christmas for half price.  I pressed lengths of it into the glue in the opening around the hanger until I the ball looked just right!

Isn't it just marvelous?  If you make one I'd love to see it.
I'm sharing fun Christmas projects all month, so scroll back and be sure to drop by for the rest abd  Merry Christmas!

I'm posting this to The Scoop at Confessions of a Plate Addict and The Sunday Showcase.

Please support this blog by shopping my PayPal store. God bless you! Digifree CraftCrave CraftCrave

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


0 comments: to “ Kusudama Snowball

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster